2010 Bike Route

Monday, May 31, 2010

Pre-Trip Yorktown, VA

All of a sudden it was time to venture out to Yorktown,VA for the start of our Bike the US for MS ride! Phew, what a whirlwind of events - finish up work at VT, pack all of my belongings into a 16' long Budget moving truck, say farewell to Salli as she heads up to Minnesota for the summer :( and then pack all of my belongings for BUS4MS into a small cubical in our trailer and head off to Yorktown.



We arrived at the Sleep Inn in Yorktown after a 5-6 hour drive with multiple stops for food, gas, and various trip items. Being from Blacksburg, I was fortunate enough to be able to catch a ride with Matt Brinckman, Bret Taylor, Carmen Ledesma, Catherine Larochelle, and Tara Hensley to Yorktown so that I didn't have to worry about shipping my bike or making too many extravagant travel plans.


Memorial Day is our "biker orientation day" so today I met most of the other cyclists (I met some after arriving while sharing a cold beer) and got orientated with the who, what, and how of cross-country cycling.

Everyone arrived, checked in, and was able to pack their gear into the trailer. Each of us has a space about 30" wide, 16" deep, and 18" tall for the summer - it actually fits everything we will need since we wear the same clothes everyday (pics of jersey to come tomorrow).

Our orientation session covered things ranging from how to fix a flat tire, change a broken chain, and how to read the sweet maps we got for the trip from Bike the US for MS. All in all, it was a successful afternoon. I got to meet all of the riders, fix a few minor things on my bike, and hang around to learn about our trip! Thanks to all of you, I received a BUS4MS sweatshirt for being the top fundraiser!!!! Thank you so much for donating!!!!!!

If I blogged about all the start up material we have been doing you would be reading a book...how about the saying a picture is worth 1000 words:

My cubicle is the rear most bottom space on the right!



Tomorrow the adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment