The climax of the day was climbing Afton Mountain and riding along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Overall we climbed about 5500 feet of elevation change over our 57 mile ride. I have to say that I definitely enjoy climbing the hills/mountains which makes sense since I enjoy that part of running as well.
The highlight of the morning involved us arriving and visiting the house of June Curry aka the "cookie lady." June has been housing TransAm bikers and making them cookies as they pass by since the inception of the trail in 1976 (hence us following the Rt. 76 bicycle signs). She has a house full of artifacts that cyclists have left behind as a type of shrine to riding across America. It was absolutely amazing!! We definitely left some BUS4MS stuff in the house, but it was overwhelming and too much to read in such a short time.


Riding along the Blue Ridge Parkway was a blast today - everyone on the trip did great and it really filled the team with a lot of confidence for the remainder of the trip. The amount of elevation gain that we rode is on the high end for the trip.
We have ended the day staying at Gerties local store where they are letting us crash in th back yard and we are able to eat off of their local grill. I definitely downed a triple cheeseburger and fries with a cherry soda to wash it down! Still hungry I ate a delicious peach I bought this morning at a local peach picking store near Charlottesville.
Blogging is somewhat cumbersome with the old computer I am using = really slooooooww...and the internet is cell phone quality so it is not as fast and easy as I would like.


No comments:
Post a Comment