2010 Bike Route

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 5 - Vesuvius, Va to Troutville, VA - 69 mi

First of all, the lack of pictures yesterday has been updated - check out the site to see a few pictures of the cookie lady and her house!

Day 5 was highlighted by a beautiful ride through some small towns of VA. Our list today included Lexington, VA where VMI and W&L are located. The two campuses were very pretty as I had never really been in downtown Lexington. We also encountered a sweet locally owned natural foods (or organic) store where I bought two delicious chocolate chip cookies.



Speaking of food - maybe the greasy, country fried, triple cheeseburger with fries at Gerties last night was not the best idea - oh well, the bagillion calories in the burger were necessary!

It is always interesting the small pretty things you encounter along the bike route. It is so much more beautiful than traveling by interstate. There are small relics of towns throughout rural VA withering away from previous generations and a mineral/coal boom here or there.


Anyone reading this from southwestern VA will appreciate the next photo. Have you ever driven on I-81 and just been fed up with the traffic and trucks? Today, our trip was weaving over and below I-81 for the better part of the day. We were able to cruise up/down some of the same fun hills that you would typically drive over, but we didn't have to fuss with the traffic! Check it out:


By popular demand, here is a picture of my blister from the first night of our trip where I spilled boiling water on my foot. You will all be glad to know that the entire blister is still holding strong, no puss has spilled out and I hope that this is helping my skin heal faster! Surprisingly, it doesn't really hurt to ride my bike with this blister, I obviously don't use that part of my foot too much since it has not popped yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment